Close Menu
Straightnews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Gov Sani Hails Obaigbena On LekeeLekee App Launch

    February 17, 2026 --- 11:13 am

    FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications

    February 16, 2026 --- 4:44 pm

    Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors

    February 15, 2026 --- 11:57 pm
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gov Sani Hails Obaigbena On LekeeLekee App Launch
    • FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications
    • Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors
    • Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive
    • CHRAN Sues NNPC/Seplat over EMOIMEE’s Non-compliance on FOI
    • US bill targets illegal Chinese mining operations in Nigeria for ‘funding Fulani militias’
    • Police foil Robbery attempt, arrest suspect in Uyo
    • Akwa Ibom Property Tax Bill as ‘anti-people’- Says Group
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Straightnews
    • Home
    • About Us
      • About StraightNews
      • Our Philosophy
      • Editorial Board
    • News
      • Nationwide News
      • Community News
      • Regional News
        • North Central
        • North East
        • North West
        • South East
        • South South
        • South West
    • Nigeria
      • Politics
      • Economy
      • Education
      • Security
      • Energy
      • Agriculture
      • Health
      • Labour
      • Environment
      • Technology
      • Real Estate
      • Transportation
      • Judiciary
      • Electricity
    • Foreign
      • Africa
        • West Africa
        • South Africa
        • North Africa
        • East Africa
      • America
      • Asia
      • Europe
    • Social
      • Photo Gallery
      • Entertainment
      • Events
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Short Stories
      • Lifestyle
      • Relationship
      • Travel
      • Specials
        • Personality Interview
        • Special Reports
        • Profile
    • Articles
      • Editorial
      • Opinion
      • Essay
    • Contact Us
    • Sports
    Straightnews
    Home»Government»Unpaid Salary: Ekiti Workers Enforce Strike, Chase Away Colleagues
    Government

    Unpaid Salary: Ekiti Workers Enforce Strike, Chase Away Colleagues

    straightnewsng.comBy straightnewsng.comAugust 24, 2018 --- 1:37 amNo Comments3 Mins Read
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Governor Ayodele Fayose
    Governor Ayodele Fayose
    Share
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Unhappy at the lukewarm attitude of Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State to the payment of their salary arrears, some angry Ekiti workers, Thursday, stormed the State Secretariat and forcefully chased away their colleagues who resumed their duty posts in Ado Ekiti.

    The workers, under the aegis of Ekiti Workers Rescue Team, said it was wrong for Governor Fayose, who accused former Governor Kayode Fayemi of insensitivity for owing one month salary in 2014 to have betrayed the trust and confidence the workers reposed in him that earned him victory in 2014.

    The Workers, who were led by former Chairmen of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Mr. Ayodeji Aluko and his counterpart in Trade Union Congress, TUC, Mr. Kolawole Olaiya, accused the state government of deceit over its commitment to defray between six and ten outstanding salaries being owed.

    The aggrieved workers began the protest at about 8.25am where they ordered their members to leave their offices and began an indefinite strike.

    The Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees, NULGE, in a statement by its State President, Bunmi Ajimoko, had earlier told the staff of their plans to begin a strike, yesterday, but later it called off due to undisclosed circumstances.

    Angry workers remove NLC, TUC leaders

    The irate workers also dissolved the state executives of the NLC and TUC, headed by Comrades Ade Adesanmi and Odunayo Adesoye respectively, accusing them of being passive and shying away from carrying out their responsibilities as labour leaders.

    The leaders had hardly ended their speeches when the workers stormed the offices and started chasing away their colleagues with cudgels.

    They also observed a minute silence in honour of their members who had died due to financial incapacitation engendered by epileptic salary payment.

    Addressing the workers, Aluko said: “We are dissolving the executives of NLC and TUC in Ekiti and they stand dissolved, because our leaders, Ade Adesanmi and Odunayo Adesoye, have lost their values. They are no longer talking about the welfare of the workers they were expected to defend.

    “We decided not to embark on this protest before election, so that they won’t read political meanings to it. Workers have died, just because they are not paid. In 2014, Governor Fayose said any governor who owed just a month salary because he is building infrastructure doesn’t worth being a governor.

    “Today, the governor owes pensioners 10 months, local government workers eight months and civil servants and teachers are owed six months. We are not fighting Governor Fayose but he must pay the workers.

    “Shortly after the election, Fayose quickly paid six month salaries and furniture allowances of political office holders, then what becomes of our teeming workers?

    “It was sad that Adesanmi and Adesoye decided to give Fayemi three months moratorium to pay workers when he assumed office, when they were practically doing nothing to ensure that Governor Fayose doesn’t leave office a debtor governor as he promised.

    “We, hereby, declare indefinite strike commencing from today and only the national secretariats of both TUC and NLC can negotiate on our behalf, because we no longer trust the State leaderships of the two congresses.

    Ekiti govt reacts

    When our reporter contacted Mr. Lanre Ogunsuyi, the Ekiti State Commissioner for Information, he said the head of service should be contacted on the industrial action adding that politicians are not on strike in the state.

     

    Ekiti workers Ekiti Workers Rescue Team former Chairmen of Nigeria Labour Congress-NLC-Mr. Ayodeji Aluko former Governor Kayode Fayemi Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State Mr. Lanre Ogunsuyi-the Ekiti State Commissioner for Information The Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees-NULGE-State President- Bunmi Ajimoko Trade Union Congress TUC-Mr. Kolawole Olaiya
    Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    straightnewsng.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Finance Commissioner Sparks Controversy, Confusion over Tax Law Citations

    February 10, 2026 --- 12:50 pm

    Nigerian Officials have a Culture of Denial – US lawmaker alleges

    February 7, 2026 --- 11:50 pm

    Rep Idem Aids Employment of 4 Ph.D Holders and Two others into FG Institution

    February 5, 2026 --- 5:01 pm

    Comments are closed.

    Search
    Our Picks
    Don't Miss
    Mass media

    Gov Sani Hails Obaigbena On LekeeLekee App Launch

    By straightnewsng.comFebruary 17, 2026 --- 11:13 am0

    Akakan Umoh Kaduna State Governor, Senator Uba Sani, has warmly congratulated Prince Nduka Obaigbena, Chairman…

    FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications

    February 16, 2026 --- 4:44 pm

    Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors

    February 15, 2026 --- 11:57 pm

    Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive

    February 15, 2026 --- 10:21 pm

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us
    About Us

    The publication is committed to the principles of development journalism. We are prepared to change the public perception that the profession is a harbinger of hate, blackmail, sycophancy, prejudice and falsehood.

    We pledge to use journalism practice to give voice to the voiceless and to give people of all shades of opinions an opportunity to tell their stories.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Recent Posts
    • Gov Sani Hails Obaigbena On LekeeLekee App Launch
    • FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications
    • Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors
    • Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive
    • CHRAN Sues NNPC/Seplat over EMOIMEE’s Non-compliance on FOI
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Advertise With Us
    © 2026 Straightnews Wire Limited

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.