Close Menu
Straightnews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Anietie Usen:  How A  Village Boy Rose to Success  

    August 22, 2026 --- 2:41 pm

    ‘‘Chidimma Must Go Campaign’’ South African protesters Renew Afrophobic Attack

    August 21, 2026 --- 5:03 pm

    FG Donates 27,000 gas cylinders to Akwa Ibom rural women

    August 21, 2026 --- 4:47 pm
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Anietie Usen:  How A  Village Boy Rose to Success  
    • ‘‘Chidimma Must Go Campaign’’ South African protesters Renew Afrophobic Attack
    • FG Donates 27,000 gas cylinders to Akwa Ibom rural women
    • Christ Embassy Unveils Electric Vehicles
    • 2027: Gov Adeleke, Davido Diverge over Support for Tinubu  
    • Nigerian Navy Rescues 22 Sea pirate Victims in Akwa Ibom
    • After 17.8% revenue jump, FG, states, LGs share N3.007trn for July 
    • Four Suspects in Akwa Ibom Police Custody for Murder and Kidnapping
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Straightnews
    • Home
    • About Us
      • About StraightNews
      • Our Philosophy
      • Editorial Board
    • News
      • Nationwide News
      • Community News
      • Regional News
        • North Central
        • North East
        • North West
        • South East
        • South South
        • South West
    • Nigeria
      • Politics
      • Economy
      • Education
      • Security
      • Energy
      • Agriculture
      • Health
      • Labour
      • Environment
      • Technology
      • Real Estate
      • Transportation
      • Judiciary
      • Electricity
    • Foreign
      • Africa
        • West Africa
        • South Africa
        • North Africa
        • East Africa
      • America
      • Asia
      • Europe
    • Social
      • Photo Gallery
      • Entertainment
      • Events
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Short Stories
      • Lifestyle
      • Relationship
      • Travel
      • Specials
        • Personality Interview
        • Special Reports
        • Profile
    • Articles
      • Editorial
      • Opinion
      • Essay
    • Sports
    • Contact Us
    Straightnews
    Home»News»Nationwide News»SERAP threatens suit against FG Over plan to shut broadcast stations
    Nationwide News

    SERAP threatens suit against FG Over plan to shut broadcast stations

    straightnewsng.comBy straightnewsng.comMarch 12, 2023 --- 4:08 pmNo Comments2 Mins Read
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    SERAP, President Buhari - Straightnews
    SERAP, President Buhari
    Share
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has threaten a legal action against the Federal Government over its threat to shut down broadcast stations.

     

    Last week, the government through the National Broadcasting Commission said it will shut down broadcast stations found culpable of using their platforms to undermine the peaceful co-existence of Nigeria.

     

    Following a meeting between NBC’s Director-General, Balarabe Ilelah and broadcast stations on the coverage of the February 25 Presidential and National Assembly elections, the Commission said it would not hesitate to revoke the licence of broadcasters threatening the peace of the country.

     

    It also warned media organisations that further breaches of the Broadcasting Code would not be tolerated.

     

    But in a statement on Sunday, SERAP urged President Muhammadu Buhari to “instruct Mr Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, and the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to urgently withdraw the ‘last warning’ and threat to revoke the licences of broadcast stations and shut them down over their coverage of elections and post-election matters.”

     

    “The ‘last warning’ and threat by the NBC if not immediately withdrawn would limit freedom of expression and the ability of broadcast stations to cover important issues around the 2023 general elections,” SERAP’s deputy director, Kolawole Oluwadare said.

     

    “Political expression is a fundamental right. The threat by the NBC creates a significant risk that legitimate expression may be prohibited.

     

    “Such unlawful prohibition may prevent transparency and dissemination of information on legitimate issues of public interest around the 2023 general elections.

     

    “We would be grateful if the requested action is taken within 48 hours of the receipt and/or publication of this letter. If we have not heard from you by then, SERAP shall take all appropriate legal actions to compel your government to comply with our request in the public interest,” SERAP added.

     

     

    Federal Government(FGN) Mr Lai Mohammed-Minister of Information and Culture National Broadcasting Commission(NBC) NBC’s Director-General- Balarabe Ilelah President Muhammadu Buhari(PMB) Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP)
    Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    straightnewsng.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Collapsed Bridge Cripples Livelihoods of two Akwa Ibom Communities

    August 5, 2026 --- 11:18 pm

    Oil Money: SERAP Sues NNPLC Over ‘Failure to Account for N211trn

    July 26, 2026 --- 10:11 pm

    President Pledges to Defend Ibibio dignity, values and legitimate interests

    July 26, 2026 --- 6:55 pm

    Comments are closed.

    Search
    Our Picks
    Don't Miss
    Essay

    Anietie Usen:  How A  Village Boy Rose to Success  

    By straightnewsng.comAugust 22, 2026 --- 2:41 pm0

    Title of book: Village Boy Author: Anietie Usen Publisher: Paresa Publishers Ltd. Lagos No. of…

    ‘‘Chidimma Must Go Campaign’’ South African protesters Renew Afrophobic Attack

    August 21, 2026 --- 5:03 pm

    FG Donates 27,000 gas cylinders to Akwa Ibom rural women

    August 21, 2026 --- 4:47 pm

    Christ Embassy Unveils Electric Vehicles

    August 21, 2026 --- 4:30 pm

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us
    About Us

    The publication is committed to the principles of development journalism. We are prepared to change the public perception that the profession is a harbinger of hate, blackmail, sycophancy, prejudice and falsehood.

    We pledge to use journalism practice to give voice to the voiceless and to give people of all shades of opinions an opportunity to tell their stories.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Recent Posts
    • Anietie Usen:  How A  Village Boy Rose to Success  
    • ‘‘Chidimma Must Go Campaign’’ South African protesters Renew Afrophobic Attack
    • FG Donates 27,000 gas cylinders to Akwa Ibom rural women
    • Christ Embassy Unveils Electric Vehicles
    • 2027: Gov Adeleke, Davido Diverge over Support for Tinubu  
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Advertise With Us
    © 2026 Straightnews Wire Limited

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.