Close Menu
Straightnews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    NMA Directs Work at Some Centres, Gives Two-week Shutdown Notice in Akwa Ibom

    May 18, 2026 --- 2:20 am

    Two more Constituents Depart for China training, Credit to Rep Idem

    May 18, 2026 --- 12:29 am

    Cubana Priest, Rep Mutu serving for 27 years Lose APC Primaries

    May 17, 2026 --- 12:34 am
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NMA Directs Work at Some Centres, Gives Two-week Shutdown Notice in Akwa Ibom
    • Two more Constituents Depart for China training, Credit to Rep Idem
    • Cubana Priest, Rep Mutu serving for 27 years Lose APC Primaries
    • Police Bust Child Trafficking Syndicate and other Crimes in Akwa Ibom
    • Man City Lifts Coveted FA Cup After Pounding Chelsea
    • Veteran Labour Icons Reunite in Uyo, Reliving Brotherhood and Camaraderie    
    • South Easter: Allow sleeping Political Dogs lie
    • Hospital Faults EFCC’s Medical Report
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Straightnews
    • Home
    • About Us
      • About StraightNews
      • Our Philosophy
      • Editorial Board
    • News
      • Nationwide News
      • Community News
      • Regional News
        • North Central
        • North East
        • North West
        • South East
        • South South
        • South West
    • Nigeria
      • Politics
      • Economy
      • Education
      • Security
      • Energy
      • Agriculture
      • Health
      • Labour
      • Environment
      • Technology
      • Real Estate
      • Transportation
      • Judiciary
      • Electricity
    • Foreign
      • Africa
        • West Africa
        • South Africa
        • North Africa
        • East Africa
      • America
      • Asia
      • Europe
    • Social
      • Photo Gallery
      • Entertainment
      • Events
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Short Stories
      • Lifestyle
      • Relationship
      • Travel
      • Specials
        • Personality Interview
        • Special Reports
        • Profile
    • Articles
      • Editorial
      • Opinion
      • Essay
    • Contact Us
    • Sports
    Straightnews
    Home»Nigeria»Security»Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Missing Nigerian Fighter Jet
    Security

    Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Missing Nigerian Fighter Jet

    straightnewsng.comBy straightnewsng.comApril 2, 2021 --- 7:28 pmUpdated:April 2, 2021 --- 7:31 pmNo Comments2 Mins Read
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    NAF Alpha Jet1
    NAF Alpha Jet1
    Share
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Boko Haram militant group has claimed it shot down a Nigerian fighter jet that went missing earlier this week and which the air force said may have crashed, according to a militant video released on Friday.

    The Alpha light attack jet was on a mission to support troops fighting militants in northeastern Borno state when it lost radar contact on Wednesday, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) said.

    The tragic incident occurred a day after Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari left the country for United Kingdom for medical attention.

    Nigeria’s military have been battling jihadists in the northeast of the country for more than a decade and have recently been fighting them in their stronghold in Sambisa forest in Borno state.

    The video, which could not be verified by AFP, was released on a Boko Haram social media channel showing a militant standing on what the group claims is the wreckage of the jet. It shows the Nigerian flag and number NAF 475 on its fuselage.

    “Nigeria air force jet fighter… was sent to Sambisa to fight the Mujahideen,” the militant said.

    The air force said on Friday that the jet may have crashed. It said the cause of the crash and the whereabouts of the two crew onboard were unknown.

    “Search and rescue efforts are still ongoing by NAF surveillance aircraft as well as NAF Special Forces and Nigerian Army troops on ground,” its statement said.

    “At this point, the NAF is not ruling out anything regarding the incident. It however remains hopeful that the crew would soon be found and rescued.”

    It did not respond immediately to a request for an update on the search.

    In 2014, Boko Haram said it shot down another Nigerian air force jet and showed a video claiming to have beheaded its pilot.

    Since the Islamist insurgency broke out in 2009, the conflict has killed around 36,000 people in the region and displaced some two million from their homes.

    The violence has also spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

    The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) split from Boko Haram in 2016 and has since become a prominent threat, attacking soldiers and bases while killing and kidnapping civilians.

    At the start of the year, Buhari appointed new military commanders after coming under pressure to better tackle insecurity and inject new life into the armed forces.

    (AFP)

    Alpha light attack jet Boko Haram Cameroon Chad Islamic State West Africa Province-ISWAP Niger Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Nigerian Army President Muhammadu Buhari(PMB) Sambisa forest-Borno state
    Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    straightnewsng.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Phase Out Contributory Pensions Scheme for Nigeria Police Force – Radio Callers

    April 21, 2026 --- 11:25 pm

    Police Pay ₦53m Lifeline to Fallen Heroes’ Families in Akwa Ibom

    April 2, 2026 --- 10:39 pm

    Tinubu Appoints Disu As New Inspector-General Of Police After Egbetokun’s Resignation

    February 25, 2026 --- 5:02 am

    Comments are closed.

    Search
    Our Picks
    Don't Miss
    Health

    NMA Directs Work at Some Centres, Gives Two-week Shutdown Notice in Akwa Ibom

    By straightnewsng.comMay 18, 2026 --- 2:20 am0

    Aniefiok Christopher’ NMA has given a two-week shutdown notice of health facilities in Akwa Ibom…

    Two more Constituents Depart for China training, Credit to Rep Idem

    May 18, 2026 --- 12:29 am

    Cubana Priest, Rep Mutu serving for 27 years Lose APC Primaries

    May 17, 2026 --- 12:34 am

    Police Bust Child Trafficking Syndicate and other Crimes in Akwa Ibom

    May 16, 2026 --- 11:53 pm

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us
    About Us

    The publication is committed to the principles of development journalism. We are prepared to change the public perception that the profession is a harbinger of hate, blackmail, sycophancy, prejudice and falsehood.

    We pledge to use journalism practice to give voice to the voiceless and to give people of all shades of opinions an opportunity to tell their stories.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Recent Posts
    • NMA Directs Work at Some Centres, Gives Two-week Shutdown Notice in Akwa Ibom
    • Two more Constituents Depart for China training, Credit to Rep Idem
    • Cubana Priest, Rep Mutu serving for 27 years Lose APC Primaries
    • Police Bust Child Trafficking Syndicate and other Crimes in Akwa Ibom
    • Man City Lifts Coveted FA Cup After Pounding Chelsea
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Advertise With Us
    © 2026 Straightnews Wire Limited

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.