Close Menu
Straightnews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications

    February 16, 2026 --- 4:44 pm

    Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors

    February 15, 2026 --- 11:57 pm

    Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive

    February 15, 2026 --- 10:21 pm
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications
    • Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors
    • Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive
    • CHRAN Sues NNPC/Seplat over EMOIMEE’s Non-compliance on FOI
    • US bill targets illegal Chinese mining operations in Nigeria for ‘funding Fulani militias’
    • Police foil Robbery attempt, arrest suspect in Uyo
    • Akwa Ibom Property Tax Bill as ‘anti-people’- Says Group
    • Idem bags House of Representatives Member of 2025 on Constituency Dev Award
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Straightnews
    • Home
    • About Us
      • About StraightNews
      • Our Philosophy
      • Editorial Board
    • News
      • Nationwide News
      • Community News
      • Regional News
        • North Central
        • North East
        • North West
        • South East
        • South South
        • South West
    • Nigeria
      • Politics
      • Economy
      • Education
      • Security
      • Energy
      • Agriculture
      • Health
      • Labour
      • Environment
      • Technology
      • Real Estate
      • Transportation
      • Judiciary
      • Electricity
    • Foreign
      • Africa
        • West Africa
        • South Africa
        • North Africa
        • East Africa
      • America
      • Asia
      • Europe
    • Social
      • Photo Gallery
      • Entertainment
      • Events
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Short Stories
      • Lifestyle
      • Relationship
      • Travel
      • Specials
        • Personality Interview
        • Special Reports
        • Profile
    • Articles
      • Editorial
      • Opinion
      • Essay
    • Contact Us
    • Sports
    Straightnews
    Home»News»Exit of multinationals cost Nigeria N95trn in five years- Obi
    News

    Exit of multinationals cost Nigeria N95trn in five years- Obi

    straightnewsng.comBy straightnewsng.comJune 24, 2024 --- 4:48 pmNo Comments3 Mins Read
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, decries multinational companies from Nigeria - straightnews
    2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, decries multinational companies from Nigeria
    Share
    WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi said the exodus of multinational companies from Nigeria has cost the country a staggering N95 trillion in the past five years.

    Obi, who stated this in a statement via his X handle on Monday, noted, “I am compelled to address the alarming exodus of multinational companies from Nigeria, which has cost our nation a staggering N95 trillion in the past five years.

    “According to The New Telegraph, in the last year alone, over ten multinational giants such as GlaxoSmithKline, Equinor, Sanofi-Aventis, Bolt Food, Procter & Gamble, Jumia Food, PZ Cussons, and Kimberly-Clark, Diageo and others, have exited Nigeria, citing eerily consistent reasons.”

    You may also read

    • Budget padding: Despite Peter Obi’s fuss, six LP Senators silent 
    • Why UK Immigration Officials detained Peter Obi at airport- Findings
    • British Govt has not apologised over Peter Obi’s detention- Labour Party 

    ‘‘According to The Punch, Multinational firms exit Nigeria over harsh business climate. The Guardian reports, Insecurity, high energy costs force companies to leave Nigeria.” The Nation states, “Poor business environment, inconsistent policies drive companies out of Nigeria.

    This includes prioritizing security, stabilizing our policies, and reducing energy costs. We must also cultivate a culture of transparency, accountability, and good governance. We can build an economy that benefits all Nigerians, not just a privileged few.

    Speaking on the nature of the issue, Obi said, “These companies have highlighted the same problems across the board. It is clear these issues are not coincidental but symptomatic of a larger governance problem. Why are we not facing and solving these problems head-on?”

    Meanwhile, Obi has called for action from the authorities, saying Nigerian leaders must address the trend of multinational companies leaving Nigeria.

    He said, “The responsibility lies with our leadership, those we put in charge to urgently address these challenges. Tackling these issues requires creating a business-friendly environment that fosters investment, innovation, and growth..”

    The former Anambra governor told government ‘‘This includes prioritizing security, stabilizing our policies, and reducing energy costs. We must also cultivate a culture of transparency, accountability, and good governance. We can build an economy that benefits all Nigerians, not just a privileged few.

    Obi called for unity and transformation, saying, “Let us unite to transform Nigeria into a nation conducive to business, attractive to investment, safe and prosperous for all citizens.

    ‘‘Together, we can make Nigeria a beacon of hope and progress in Africa and the world.”

    Recall that GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc had announced plans to shut down its operations in the country.

    The announcement was stated in a press statement and filed with the Nigerian Exchange Limited. It was signed by the Company Secretary, Frederick Ichekwai.

    Similarly, Jumia Food, the food delivery service of the e-commerce company, Jumia Technologies, announced plans to shut down operations in Nigeria in December 2023.

    Jumia said it will close its food delivery business in Nigeria and six other countries in which it operates by the end of the year to focus on growing its core online retail business.

    2023 Labour Party presidential candidate-Peter Obi multinational companies Nigeria
    Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    straightnewsng.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Police Arrest Five Suspects, Uncover illicit Drugs in Eket

    February 11, 2026 --- 12:15 am

    U.S. Sends Special Forces to Flush out Terrorists from Nigeria – AFRICOM chief

    February 4, 2026 --- 11:29 pm

    Cross River Records N17bn Revenue from December 2025 Carnival

    February 1, 2026 --- 11:01 pm

    Comments are closed.

    Search
    Our Picks
    Don't Miss
    Law

    FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications

    By straightnewsng.comFebruary 16, 2026 --- 4:44 pm0

    Aniefiok Christopher The Nigerian Government has filed criminal charges against former Kaduna State governor, Nasir…

    Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors

    February 15, 2026 --- 11:57 pm

    Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive

    February 15, 2026 --- 10:21 pm

    CHRAN Sues NNPC/Seplat over EMOIMEE’s Non-compliance on FOI

    February 14, 2026 --- 12:20 am

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us
    About Us

    The publication is committed to the principles of development journalism. We are prepared to change the public perception that the profession is a harbinger of hate, blackmail, sycophancy, prejudice and falsehood.

    We pledge to use journalism practice to give voice to the voiceless and to give people of all shades of opinions an opportunity to tell their stories.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Recent Posts
    • FG Sues El-Rufai over alleged interception of Ribadu’s phone communications
    • Kidnap victim rescued in Nsit Ibom as Police intensify Manhunt for Abductors
    • Gov Umo Eno Collects N2.53 trillion Revenue in 32 months- Exclusive
    • CHRAN Sues NNPC/Seplat over EMOIMEE’s Non-compliance on FOI
    • US bill targets illegal Chinese mining operations in Nigeria for ‘funding Fulani militias’
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Advertise With Us
    © 2026 Straightnews Wire Limited

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.